Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"Mastering the Craft"


This journey encompasses a lot of information gathering and networking. So it got me thinking about how a novice becomes an expert or a master of his/her craft.  Though it's only a rough sketch and no way groundbreaking, I thought about what I should utilize or at least keep in my cognitive sphere.

It encompasses around 4 main things: People, Places, Resources and Tools. 

People: Everybody both within your comfort zone and outside, both within your area of interests and outside. It might not lead right away to where you want to be, but it can have a high a possibility in steering you in the right direction.

Places: Its where to ask or look for help or advice. If people you know are limited, find a place where your interest/s might congregate. Be adventurous!

Resources: Beside the top two things, where could you find other sources of insight. The internet is a good start. People write books and blogs ;) There is something called the library (I don't think people fully utilize this) where similar topics congregate in the form of books and collections. I found some really interesting stuff that I would've never known if I hadn't browsed around.

Tools: Now that you have collected and digested all the knowledge presented, how can you truly test what you have gained or know. I guess it could come in many forms. You can literally ask an expert if what your understanding make sense to them. Take the test in the back of each chapter. Apply your knowledge to a project whether it's your own or someone else. Copy other's or even improve on an existing project.

For those who are looking for a breakthrough, I guess lastly, though I don't solely rely on this, but luck is always good on your side. But I consider luck is only a product of the 4 things.....Well there's this fifth element I'm trying to grasp, but it will be another post...stay tune:)


No comments:

Post a Comment