Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Colors! Engagement!





I found a little treasure the other day while hiking near University Hills. I believed this is called lichen in which fungi and algae are one big family here on the surface of this piece of rock. In more scientific terms, it's a form mutualism where the fungus receives food from the algae while the algae gets protection and is able to anchor onto the fungus.

I used the "vivid" option on my phone and to my surprise the colors really pop! Beauty in its own sense. Great medium for engagement and discussion. Both in scientific and humanistic terms. I wonder what it would feel like to be a hiker on this beautiful landscape. If algae and fungi are able to produce this spectacle I wonder how the world would be if humans are more able to coexist with each other.

Appreciate nature, stay curious, you might find something you would never imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment